Saturday, September 27, 2008

What A Day!!!! Part 2 (Story Time)

We have THE BEST customers (Friends of Barn House) in the world!!! They come early, wait patiently in line drinking coffee, laughing, hugging and catching up with new and old friends. AND, some of them even bring us home-made treats! This is Jan (left), Fran (right) and Kathy (camera around her neck), and many-many-many other wonderful folks.
Fran is a legend in our neck of the woods. She has a few very successful country cookbooks with another on the way...AND puts on a couple of shows a year out our way that shouldn't be missed. The next one is the same day as our Season Finale and we will definitely have directions from Barn House so you can pay her a visit. Oh, and it takes an army of people to ring her up once she is done shopping at BH...so you might want to change lines if you are ever behind her!! ;o)
We had great news to announce to everyone who came...a very special new member to The Barn House Family!!! She is gorgeous...she is lovely...she is our new BFF...her name is "Miss Honey-Money"...and she is our Credit Card Machine!!! She also has been sitting in the closet for several months because I couldn't pull my head out of my *%$ to get her set-up. My excuse?? Well, I always have saved this special task until the week before the shows when we are so overwhelmed with preparations and are on the verge of a nervous breakdown. The final straw?? A customer at the August show asked about using a credit card and I made the mistake of telling her that it was sitting in the closet because I hadn't figured out how to use it. Needless to say, she gave me a look like I was a total IDIOT! I did deserve that look, I really did.
BUT, do you know the troubles we've seen getting ready for our events??? It is enough to make a grown man cry. Joey is running around frantically pulling stuff out of the basement and hauling it to The Barn. Then he is running around frantically pulling out "the rejects" and hauling them BACK to the basement. THEN he's got to figure out what "The Magic" is going to be...what is going to amaze and inspire...what is going to make the event special, unique and different from any of our previous events. Sometimes this comes easily and sometimes it doesn't...
Sometimes he is done early and sometimes he is on the phone crying to Cindy (Queen of Tarte). This conversation goes something like this, "Oh Queen, woe is me...poor me...what am I gonna do...the chickens are laying eggs in the store...I haven't finished pricing...Jermonne is not helping me (aka Jermonne is at his other gig)...etc." Cindy being the sweet and understanding friend that she is, listens and then lovingly states, "Go tell it to The Mountain -- JUST GET IT DONE!" I love that Cindy!!
During this time of crisis, I am dealing with my own madness at The Torture Chamber. It never fails. If we have an event coming up, the sky is falling at my job! I think this is a conspiracy and last week had to be the worst. This results in TWO crazy people trying to get ready for a show. The most commonly used statement by both crazy people is "I have to do EVERYthing!" Can both crazy people really be truthful stating this with as much passion and conviction as we do? Probably not, but it sure is funny to us after the dust settles.
Well, once Joe is done "doing everything" and/or I am done "doing everything," somehow-someway, a few things fall through the cracks. Getting Miss Honey-Money set up, getting a few items priced, eating, sleeping...just some minor things like that. This week, it was setting aside some windows that Carrie (one of the very talented girls from Adorn) had scouted out in our basement from a previous visit. Yep, she had told us she wanted them and, YEP, we said we would have them ready. YIKES!!! In the early morning frenzy, we realized the windows were still in the basement and Carrie was already a little late for one of her kids soccer game. THEN, she was behind Mama Fran in line (oh goodness gracious!!)...boy, did I get a look (much deserved I will admit--well, really Joe should have got that look)!!!! Sorry Sweetie-Pie-Suga-Melon!!! The Boys of Barn House will make it up to you. :o)
One thing is certain, I seem to be the Barn House Representative present if something has "slipped through the cracks." One time I got cursed out at the counter because "apparently" someone had called for directions (the week leading up the event) and "apparently" the message wasn't relayed to Captain Correspondence. Boy did I get it!!! Poor little ol' me was ravaged and shredded to pieces and I still have the scars to prove it. If you look close, you can still see the tracks of my tears. Joe is planning to slip a little Shug Avery pee in her lemonade if she is mean to me again!
This is the lovely Sylvi and Debbie...two very special members of The Barn House Family. Debbie (right) caught me a little off guard the weekend before the event. (SKIP this section if you are skittish or easily offended) Joe had left to go visit Cindy last weekend for some inspiration and I was sitting on the porch relaxing with our cat and a couple of chickens (some of you may know that I am an aspiring Hillbilly). It started getting soooo hot that I decided since I live in the country that it would be appropriate to strip down to my britches and open up a can of my favorite tasty beverage...yes, on the porch - Barn House Style. Next thing I know the porch door swung open and there was Debbie and her husband!!!! We all were like deer caught in headlights. As you can imagine, the moment was a bit awkward to say the least. She saw a little more of me than she probably would have liked...and still can't look me in the eye. If it was any hotter that day, it could have been waaaay worse! This was NOT the first time I have been caught in my drawers on porch. Sylvi (also pictured above) has also had this unfortunate experience. But Sylvi ain't shy...she rolled right on in, gave me a big ol' hug and kept steppin' like she had walked in on hundreds of half-naked men sitting on the porch. She's a true country gal, ya know! HEE HAW!!!Even with a few glitches and a porch humiliation, everything came together beautifully! As usual, The Family pulled together and had an amazing day. There was even time to pull a fast one over on Natalie's husband Lyn...we sent him to Burgerville to order things with funny names that don't exist, like the "Clubalicous" sandwich with "Sweetalicious" fries. Poor Lyn!!
Only one more event...The Barn House Season Finale!!! The Queen is Coming!!! Queen of Tarte and Barn House will be collaborating for a very special event -- Gothic Harvest. More to come...

J & J

23 comments:

Karen said...

We are definitely trying to get there for this one! We loved it before, haven't been able to get back up there, but have been telling lots of people they've got to go. Karen

Anonymous said...

I hear our great big gate has found an awesome new home. We'll try and make it up to see the last and Best show of the season. Sue & Joe

Little Cottage said...

He, he, he!!! Love it, love it! Hey, Jermonne, how come you've never told "our" story to anyone..... :o))))
Much love 2 the bestest,
Sylvi

Auntie Joy said...

Oh my!! You just never know when company will come a callin'!
I was indeed behind Fran in line, thankfully it gave me lots of time to make new friends with your sweet customers!!
See ya'll soon!
JOY!

KatCollects said...

What a fun post, you guys are to funny. Thank you for the giggles. The sale was fun, we have been to 2 now, and will be back for the Gothic Harvest.
Kathy

Kelly said...

That was hilarious! You guys crack me up! Let me know if you need anything for this next one! I am very excited!

Peace-alious!

Lisa Johnson said...

You are too funny! I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to give you "a look" or chew you out for anything. Can't they see what an amazingly sweet guy you are? I'm so sure. Some people just don't appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into doing what you two do. We will definitely be seeing you at the next sale. Be prepared for some big hugs.

Lisa

Barn House said...

Sylvi, I almost forgot about "our" story! I just added it. :o)

Little Cottage said...

- And as "the lady" I am, I haven't told nobody;- not even my hubby....
I felt so sorry for you! Ha, ha, ha!
A good, solid, laugh, makes country life so much better :o))))
You just continue enjoying your porch!
Note to friends: Honk your horn, before you knock on the BH boys' door (say around dinner-time-ish)
Hugs,
Sylvi

Laurie said...

Hey guys! We had a great time at Barn House and everything came together beautifully! You are fabulous!!! Love to you...
Laurie & Debbie (Worthy Goods)

Kathrine said...

I loe reading your blog! Makes me laugh. Arrrgghh...can I photoshop that picture of me?? I can put Pam Anderson's head on me...no wait, her body. Heck what am I thinking, all of her. Ha.

I can't wait for the next event. If you ever need ANY help, please let me know!

Take care.
Kathy

Mrs.French said...

this is one event I will not miss...I pinky swear (Mabel and I are ready)....I also think we need to figure out a time to meet up and have a drink...

Debbie Busby said...

Can't wait to come in October!! I missed the last one but sure won't miss this one!! You guys are super terrific!! Thanks for creating such a special place and sharing it!! Debbie

Maison Douce said...

You are soooo funny!! Sounds like it was so much fun, wish I could have been there!! You know, there is an army of musketeeresses ready to defend you guys if anyone DARES to mistreat you!!! Big hug!!
Isabel

Timi said...

It looks like you had a great event! I am in the process today of getting a group of ladies together to come down to your final show. I'm hoping that my little friend Mr. Credit Card can meet your new family member Honey Money. I think they could be great friends! :-)
Timi

Queen of Tarte said...

OMG...you are so funny!!! This very story you have told is why everyone loves you guys!!! I will hopefully see you this weekend...I'll bring some of your favorite beverage and honk as we pull up!!! xoxo Cindy

Kari said...

Hi Joe and Jermonne! I am a huge fan of yours, via your blog of course. I am in California, but if I ever get up your way, I will be there! I *LOVE* your style and the creative way you put together your shows is so inspiring. My heart beats faster just thinking about walking around at one of your sales, digging through ironstone, picking the perfect crusty old galvanized bucket out, sipping a coffee...... I wish you were closer!

Take care and visit me at my blog sometime!

Love,
Kari
~Reese & Marie~

Tamara Jansen said...

I wish I could have been there. This looks like a fabulous event!

Kim Hancock said...

Oh how I wish you were closer or had an online store!

KatCollects said...

You cracked me up with your comment about the bunnies on my blog. Does that mean I should bring my emergency bunny cages with me to your sale this month? ; ) I think you should just plant more in your garden next spring and share with them, they really are the sweetest : ) I will warn you, my bunnies like Kale the best! Hope you are both having a beautiful weekend!
Kathy

Journal Swag said...

Hi Jermonne! If I could figure out how to put things on my sidebar, I would post your show there. I WILL post about it on Sunday though and HOPE I can come. Hope you're doing well.

Hugs Hugs,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

It is always such fun to look at the beautiful images on your site, but to read what you write. You've been tagged

Crafty Mama said...

What a great storyteller you are!! I would love to visit your barn someday but I think it may be a while (I live in a very small country The Netherlands... and no I do not wear wooden shoes LOL)... Untill then your blog will do just fine!